No matter how statistically safe a procedure has proven to be, every surgery has risks. Post Tonsillectomy Hemorrhage (PTH) is a potentially serious complication that has been reported in literature for both adult and pediatric patients. It is reported to occur following use of COBLATION devices as well as following the use of other surgical devices and methods. Before making any surgical decision, you should speak with your doctor about any potential risks.
*As demonstrated in laboratory testing
*Compared to monopolar electrocautery, Diode Laser, Cold dissection and Microdebrider
COBLATION wands are contraindicated for use in patients with cardiac pacemakers or other electronic device implants.
- Francis DO, Fonnesbeck C, Sathe N, McPheeters M, Krishnaswami S, Chinnadurai S. Postoperative Bleeding and Associated Utilization Following Tonsillectomy in Children: A Systematic Review and MetaAnalysis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;156:442 – 455.
- Roy S, Smith LP. Device-related risk of fire in oropharyngeal surgery: a mechanical model. Am J Otolaryngol – Head Neck Med Surg. 2010;31(5):356 – 359.
- Roy S, Smith LP. Prevention of airway fires: testing the safety of endotracheal tubes and surgical devices in a mechanical model. Am J Otolaryngol – Head Neck Med Surg. 2015;36(1):63 – 66.
- Matt BH, Cottee LA. Reducing risk of fire in the operating room using coblation technology. Otolaryngol – Head Neck Surg. 2010;143(3):454 – 455.
- Magdy EA, Elwany S, El-Daly AS, Abdel-Hadi M, Morshedy MA. Coblation tonsillectomy: a prospective, double-blind, randomised, clinical and histopathological comparison with dissection–ligation, monopolar electrocautery and laser tonsillectomies. J Laryngol Otol. 2008;122(3):282 – 290.
- Ahmad MU, Wardak AN, Hampton T, Siddiqui MRS, Street I. Coblation versus cold dissection in paediatric tonsillectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Laryngol Otol. 2020;134(3):197 – 204.
- Mularczyk C, Walner DL, Hamming KK. Coblation versus microdebrider in pediatric adenoidectomy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2018;104:29 – 31.
- Amin N, Bhargava E, Prentice JG, Shamil E, Walsh M, Tweedie DJ. Coblation Intracapsular Tonsillectomy in Children: A Prospective Study of 1257 Consecutive Cases with Long Term Follow Up. Clin Otolaryngol. 2021;00:1 – 9.
- Carney SA, Timms MS, Marnane CN, Krishnan S, Rees G, Mirza S. Radiofrequency coblation for the resection of head and neck malignancies. Otolaryngol – Head Neck Surg. 2008;138(1):81 – 85.
- Elbadawey MR, Hegazy HM, Eltahan AE, Powell J. A randomised controlled trial of coblation, diode laser and cold dissection in paediatric tonsillectomy. J Laryngol Otol. 2015;129(11):1058 – 1063.